Back to the wines list
- Condrieu Vineyards :
- 7 communes from three "départements": the Rhône, the Loire and the Ardèche, located on the right bank of the Rhône river. Soils :
- granite slopes rising above the river - the lie of the land is too steep to allow any mechanized picking. Climate :
- moderately continental, hot and dry in summer, regular rainfall during the other seasons. History :
- the vineyard has often been a victim of the history and almost disappeared on several occasions: during the barbarian invasions, in the days of the "Grandes Compagnies", (in the 17th and 18th centuries) and, more recently, at the end of the 19th century, with the phylloxera infestation. Well before the modern period, the trading port of Condrieu and its river fleet carried the reputation of its wines far and wide. Surface area under production :
- 130 ha (325 acres) for an annual production of 4,700 hl (52,200 cases).
This cuvée is a blend from 4 vineyard plots: Vérin, Saint-Cyr-sur-le-Rhône, Chavanay and Saint-Pierre-de-Boeuf. Average Delas production: 13,000 bottles (75 cl.) per year. Grape variety : Viognier 100%.
After hand-picking, the grapes travel to the winery in small boxes. Gentle pressing produces a must that is fermented at low temperatures 61-64°F (16 to 18°C) within temperaturecontrolled vats in order to make the most of the complex aromas of the Viognier variety. Each year, a variable part of the crop is fermented (20% max.) in new oak casks.
Right after the malolactic fermentation, the wine is racked and then aged fine lees, in order to improve the richness of its structure, while keeping its exceptional varietal aromas. Bottling takes place around mid-April.
The colour is a straw yellow, with green tinges. This Condrieu has layers of amazingly powerful and complex aromas: violets, apricots, peaches, honey and dried fruit. On the palate, these exuberant flavours are rich, powerful, and highly seductive, with an unctuous texture and a mass of exotic fruit on the finish.
Food and wine pairing
Asparagus, steamed fish in a butter sauce, lemon chicken.