Back to the wines list
Domaine des Tourettes
- Red Hermitage Vineyards :
- the vineyard stretches over 3 communes in the Drôme "département": Tain-l'Hermitage, Crozes-Hermitage and Larnage. Soils :
- the soils are a combination of granite with alluvial quaternary delta deposits, and Pliocene marl. This diversity explains the numerous names given to vineyard plots within the appellation: Bessards, Greffi eux, Méal, Roucoule, Beaumes, etc. Climate :
- protected from the north winds, the slopes are well exposed to the sun, facing south. Surface area under production :
- The vineyards area adds up to 134 hectares/331 acres, with an annual production of 3,635 hectolitres/40,390 cases. Authorized maximum yield is 40 hectolitres/hectare (2,3 us tons/acre). Grape varieties :
- Syrah (an addition of up to 15% of Marsanne and Roussanne is allowed).
This wine is a blend from 3 different terroirs : L'Ermite, le Sabot, and the famed plot, les Bessards. Average production: 30,000 bottles (75 cl.) per year. Grape Variety: 100% Syrah
All grapes of the cuvée "Domaine des Tourettes" are picked by hand, according to appropriate ripening in each terroir. Fermentation takes place in traditional open-topped concrete tanks, after 2 days pre-fermentary skin contact at cool temperatures. Maceration continues at controlled temperatures of 82°F and 86°F (28°C to 30°C). Daily cap pushing down and pumping over are carried out for about 10 days, with a total vatting period up to 20 days. After devatting and pressing, the malolactic fermentation is carried out in oak barrels.
Maturation is done in French oak barrels. On each vintage, the notes of wood are the result of precise and variable proportion between new barrels and barrels which have already held one wine, and it is adapted according to each vintage tannic & tasting characteristics.
The colour shows brilliant, deep red hues. The nose is powerful and complex, expressing blackberries, spices and leather. On the palate, "Domaine des Tourettes" is fi rm but silky, with a tightly-knit tannic structure that is the hallmark of wines that have a great future.
Food and wine pairing
Red meats, rare or medium cooked - games, marinated meats, spicy stews. The bottles should be opened 1 to 3 hours before drinking.