Back to the wines list
- Cornas Vineyards :
- the vineyard lies entirely on the commune of Cornas located on the right Rhône river bank. Soils :
- the soils are varied, with odd alluvium deposits on steep, shale slopes that are held up by dry stone walls. Climate :
- very sunny south/southeast facing slopes. History :
- the Cornas wines have been invariably famous since the 10th century. They were served to kings, both in France and elsewhere. AOC status and improved quality have enabled the vineyard to regain its reputation. Surface area under production :
- 96 hectares (240 acres), for an average annual production of 3,210 hectolitres (35,666 cases). Authorized maximum yield is 40 hectolitres/hectare (2.3 US tons/acre).
This wine is a blend of grapes grown on various plots; all of them facing south. Average Delas production: 15,000 bottles (75 cl.) per year. Grape variety : Syrah 100%
All the grapes used in the "Chante-Perdrix" cuvée are picked by hand, plot by plot, at the time they reach their optimal maturity. The winemaking takes place in traditional, open-topped concrete tanks, after 3 days pre-fermentary skin contact at cool temperatures. The fermentation continues under computer controlled temperatures between 82°F to 86°F (28°C to 30°C). Daily cap pushing down and pumping over are carried out for about 10 days. The total vatting time can be up to 20 days.
This lasts for between 12 to 14 months in oak barrels. Regular racking brings enough oxygen to allow the tannins optimum maturing.
The colour is an intense garnet red. In its youth, this wine has strong blackcurrant aromas. With time, the fruit aromas gradually fade, giving the way to hints of pepper and liquorice. The palate is structured and has the strongly-defined flavours that are typical from this "terroir”.
Food and wine pairing
Mixed grills, wild mushrooms, game (which can be served with spicy sauces). This wine needs at least 3 years cellaring before it can open up its complexity. If kept for longer than this, the wine should be decanted before serving.