Back to the wines list
Domaine des Tourettes
- White Hermitage Vineyards :
- the vineyard stretches over 3 communes in the Drôme "department”: Tain-l'Hermitage, Crozes-Hermitage and Larnage. Soils :
- the soils are a combination of granite with alluvial quaternary delta deposits, and Pliocene marl. This diversity explains the numerous different names given to vineyard plots within the appellation : Bessards, Greffieux, Méal, Roucoule, Beaumes, etc...). Climate :
- protected from the north winds, the slopes are well exposed to the sun, facing south. Surface area under production :
- The vineyards area adds up to 134 hectares/335 acres, with an annual production of 3,635 hectolitres/40,390 cases. Authorized maximum yield is 40 hectolitres/hectare (2,3 US tons/acre).
This cuvée is a blend from three different terroirs : L'Ermite, le Sabot and La Tourette. Average production : 5,000 bottles (75cl.) per year. Grape varieties : 90% Marsanne, and approximately 10% Roussanne.
The harvest is carried out by hand in two stages. The juice is pressed "à la champenois", by separating the free-run wine and the press wine. After a light racking, the must is put into barrel (new barrels, or used previously for one or two vintages) in order for the alcoholic fermentation to take place. With the aim of perserving the wine's freshness on the finish, malolactic fermentation is sometimes carried out only partially.
The wines are fermented in barrel for 9 to 12 months, on their lees, with the lees regularly stirred up. Two months before bottling the wine is blended, after which it is stelled and racked into a tank so that the different elements have time to become balanced and harmonious before going into bottle.
Pale yellow, with green tints. The hue is bright with good density. On the nose the Hermitage blanc "Domaine des Tourettes" shows floral notes, underpinned by candied citrus fruit fragrances. These are complemented by fine oaky notes, such as vanilla and toasted brioche. Its powerful character shows on the palate. Concentrated and opulent, with a perfectly balanced structure, this Hermitage has beautiful freshness and a good mineral character, giving it great aromatic lenght.
Food and wine pairing
White meats (chicken with morilles mushrooms, quail with truffles), fish (gille Sea Bass with citrus fruit) and cheese.