Back to the wines list
- Red Crozes-Hermitage Vineyards :
- the vineyards are the largest of the northern Rhône appellations. They cover 11 communes in the Drôme "département", on the left bank of the Rhône River. Soils :
- the soils vary: from the north, these are mainly over granite subsoils that follow on from those of the Hermitage hill; to the south where are both fluvialglacial alluviums, with terraces of rolled stones from the old river bed, mixed with loess. Climate :
- the climate has a southerly exposure in the hillside areas. Prevailing wind :
- The "Mistral". Surface area under production :
- Production area is 1,683 hectares/3,485 acres, for an annual production of 61,000 hectolitres/678,000 cases. Authorized maximum yield is 45 hectolitres/hectare (2,6 US tons/acre). Grape varieties :
- Syrah (an addition of up to 15% of Marsanne or Roussanne is allowed).
Average Delas production: 150,000 (75 cl.) per year. Grape variety : 100% Syrah.
The grapes are harvested manually at optimum ripeness. All the crop is destemmed. Fermentation takes place at controlled temperatures of 82°F to 90°F (28°C to 32°C) in open concrete tanks. After devatting and pressing, malolactic fermentation is carried out in tanks.
A small portion of the wines is aged in barrels that gives just a touch of oak to the final blend. The rest stays in tanks to preserve the full fruit aromas. These wines are racked then, regularly to provide them with natural stabilization of their components.
The colour is a deep garnet red. The nose is essentially fruity, with strong aromas of cassis and plums, an a touch of violets. This is an ample, well-rounded wine in the mouth that has sufficient tannins for ageing capacity.
Food and wine pairing
Game, grilled meats, and all types of food cooked in sauce.